Friday, February 20, 2009

Waking up at 10.00 PM
















As I'm typing these words, the clock on the screen says 3:00 AM.

I woke up from an 'extended' nap around 10.00 PM yesterday, so I guess I'm not totally insomniac, either. I'm also positive that humans aren't nocturnal beings, more so to those who don't work or go out at night on a daily basis. Having said that, these kinds of 'irregular sleeping patterns' usually infect me on holidays. Before bed, I'd go online and surf through all kinds of stuff, from the important to the trivial to the completely irrelevant (not necessarily in that order), and end up shutting down before dawn. In other words, an excuse I'd register as a reason for my behavior would be that I'm addicted to the internet.

But I'm not typing at... 3.10 AM to talk about why I've shamelessly embraced this habit, but rather to get to know about it a bit better. I don't smoke or take any kind of shit, so I'm not sick or anything, but I'm just a bit curious about sleeping through the day and waking up through the night.

It's now 3.23 AM, I've just googled up 'irregular sleeping' and visited:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/000800.htm

and focused on this part of the article:

PROBLEMS STICKING TO A REGULAR SLEEP SCHEDULE

Problems may also occur when you do not maintain a consistent sleep and wake schedule. This occurs when traveling between times zones and with shift workers on rotating schedules, particularly nighttime workers.

Sleep disruption disorders include:

  • Irregular sleep-wake syndrome
  • Jet lag syndrome
  • Natural short sleeper (the person sleeps less hours than normal but has no ill effects)
  • Paradoxical insomnia (the person actually sleeps a different amount than they think they do)
  • Shift work sleep disorder
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

by 3.33 AM I've assumed that I'm suffering from the disorder in bold, even though I don't exactly 'work' at night. So I searched it on the net and was led to this site:

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/disorders/Sleep_Disorders/hic_Shift_Work_Sleep_Disorder.aspx

here's an excerpt:

What is shift work sleep disorder (SWSD)?

SWSD is a sleep disorder that affects people who frequently rotate shifts or work at night. Schedules of these people go against the body’s natural Circadian rhythm, and individuals have difficulty adjusting to the different sleep and wake schedule. SWSD consists of a constant or recurrent pattern of sleep interruption that results in insomnia or excessive sleepiness. This disorder is common in people who work non-traditional hours, usually between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.

What are the symptoms of SWSD?
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Headaches
  • Lack of energy

Not every shift worker suffers from SWSD. However, if you are a shift worker and experience any of these symptoms, you should talk to your doctor.

What are the consequences of SWSD?
  • Increased accidents
  • Increased work-related errors
  • Increased sick leave
  • Increased irritability, mood problems, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Hmpf, no wonder I really, really have a bad mood whenever I have to attend class after a long night's 'shift' or more evidently, when I pick up a call from my friend in the morning (ask Eja).

Well, It's already 4.54 AM, and I've had some detours, so I guess it's time for me to test my luck in tucking in.

See you when I wake up (if I can sleep)!

-R

No comments: