Monday, June 22, 2009

Spock Says


"I will not allow you to lecture me on the merits of emotion"



R: I've heard this bit of dialogue way back from the debut of the first full trailer of my current favorite summer movie of the year, which happens to be J.J. Abram's Star Trek. With a warp-paced, character-driven (although in parts contrived) plot that focuses on the early years of Kirk, Spock, and the rest of the to-be Enterprise crew, this new take on Gene Roddenberry's creation is fresher, more likable, and definitely more accessible to the wider audience than ever.

A Trek character that has always fascinated me is none other than the most famous pointy-eared fellow in TV & Cinema (yes, even above those regal elves from LOTR): science officer SPOCK.

Played by Zachary Quinto, whose favorite past time is literally slicing open human heads as Sylar in HEROES, this Spock not only emulates the Spock of old, but as a younger version of it, brings an emotional side within the character that has never been unleashed to this extreme before. The dynamic between his Spock and James T. Kirk (admirably played by Chris Pine) is well-fleshed and pans out as one of the strongest points throughout the film.

This brings me back to the line above. Spock (as acting captain) utters it while being provoked by Kirk (why? go watch the movie). It actually sounds a bit cheesy without the context that Vulcans are uber-logical beings, and yet it keeps growing on me.

In fact, after watching the flick for an unprecedented 5th time (no, not because the movie's THAT good), I can't help myself from saying it at least once whenever I'm walking, looking in the mirror, taking a dump, and even when I'm typing a post on this blog (like now).

Seems illogical, right?

Is it illogical to say something,

that simply sounds cool as fuck,

although it's only a stylized version of saying:

SHUT UP!

Or is it just Mr Quinto's delivery?

Every God needs a Metatron.
(which sounds goddamn confusing without the context*)

And I may have just found one

-R



*)context

No comments: