Sunday, April 26, 2009

The Bypassing Gooner; Pay Attention to the Line Below

(just scroll down to see the corny reason why this post even exists)


The term 'Gooner' refers to a fan of Arsenal FC, a top English football club nicknamed "The Gunners" (go figure why).

I've been a self-proclaimed passionate Gooner for over ten years now, simply because of the attractive way they play. I always try to watch all of their games on TV, even if it means staying up in the early hours on a school day.

Exclusive Premiere League broadcasting rights have put a leash on this hobby of mine. A year and a half ago, I tried to catch each game by attending public match screenings -held by the official fan club, Arsenal Indonesia Supporters (AIS)- although I was not a registered member of it (well, it's public anyway hehe). The second half of that season was a bit more relaxed. My dad hooked up the god-awful Astro and so, I could watch the matches regularly at home again. But it wasn't good value, because Astro was crap in content and quality, aside from holding the rights to broadcast the Premiere League football matches.

A fracas in the upper-echelon of that damned corporation ensued, causing broadcasting rights to shift hands. Not wanting to burden my oldman, I said that he didn't have to subscribe to the next cable TV operator who'd purchased the rights. And so, I began streaming football games on the net, despite the mediocre connection speed in Indonesia. Think 90 minutes of stop and start, low-res tube vids: that's how I enjoyed my footy games...fuck.


As you might have read in the previous post, I have been mightily bored these few days.

Coincidentally, AIS was celebrating it's 6th birthday and was having another match screening at 'Gooners Corner' (formerly known as Langsat Corner).

So what did I do? I went there alone of course (like always).

Sticking like a remora on a shark, I pretended to be a simple bypasser who had decided to go in just to eat some food (like I did in the past, I'm not good in being acquainted ,see).

The game I watched (against Boro) was a bit bland. It was an easy win for the boys in red and white, Captain Cesc being a hero by bagging a sweet brace.

The real test looms ahead, when the boys visit Old Trafford to play the Mancunians. If they play like they did today, I daresay it might not end well.

-------if you've paid attention--------------------------

Off the pitch, there were regular Gooners,

Primus (yes, Panji Manusia Millenium) and David Tarigan (Aksara Records)!

Although I don't know a hairbreadth about what he actually does or has done, I've always perceived David Tarigan as this artistic indie dude whose biggest success has been hypnotizing the uptown youth of this bloody city to believe that they're hip, unique, and plain cool by just listening to the stuff he listens to!

(relax, I don't know anything I'm saying hahaha)

And if it is so, then he IS truly, truly, truly awesome hahahaha...

Cynicism aside, the cool bloke sat across me.

And this, is the corny reason why this post even exists.

-R





















Fucking Awesome

No comments: